Kickin' BBQ Shredded Chicken
Author: Stacey and Matty Date Posted:6 July 2017
Cooking Tip: Raw buckwheat kernels are a great alternative to oats , dates and other highly carb dense foods. Try swapping your oats in your smoothie for some buckwheat kernels. It adds an extra crunch and a new flavour to the final product.
Training Tip: When deadlifting, if you get a pain in your lower back and more specifically you S.I.J (sacroiliac joint) it may be from not activating and switching on the correct muscles and therefore not locking the joints in place causing them to give you grief. Try driving your heels out (internal torque) as this will help you to engage your hamstrings more and you should feel your lower back become more secure in the lift.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Tender, shredded chicken swimming in a savory and slightly spicy sauce - it’s the perfect make-ahead dish when you’re craving barbecue. This recipe is sure to get your taste buds amped up!
- 1 whole, large chicken
- 2 Tablespoons ghee or your fat of choice
- ½ white onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ cups apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or hot sauce
- 4 whole Chicken Leg Quarter
1. Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Place it in the slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
2. (Alternatives to making a crock pot chicken: poach 1½ to 2 pounds of chicken breasts or buy a pre-made rotisserie chicken from the market.)
3. In a large saucepan, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the minced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
4. Now, add the rest of the ingredients: garlic, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, tomato paste, honey, salt, black pepper, and Tabasco. Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over low heat.
5. Simmer the sauce until the volume has reduced by a quarter to a third. It should be slightly thickened but not pasty.
6. When the chicken has cooled a bit – unless you have asbestos hands – shred all the meat and unite it with the tangy, savory sauce.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Matty and Stace from The Chief Life are driven to educate and assist you with your health, nutrition and fitness related goals. They are both CrossFit coaches, have heaps of skills with nutrition and Stacey is a Dietitian with almost 10 years of experience. If you want to know how to get the most out of yourself through quality nutrition, we can help! Head to thechieflife.com for more info, to get in touch or to order your personalised meal plan or training program. We create the plans so all you have to do is make it happen! “Stop thinking about it and go be about it”.