Crispy Vegetable Cakes
Author: Stacey and Matty Date Posted:1 June 2017
Cooking Tip: Massage kale before using it in your salads. Massaging the kale leaf before eating it gives it a rich,full taste. It also softens the leaves up making them less rubbery and nicer to have in the salad.
Training Tip: Scale workouts where needed. It's important to look at the stimulus of a work out and make sure you are trying to achieve that stimulus. For instance a 62.5/42.5kg bar shouldn't be a heavy bar when placed in a workout. If you have a look at Grace (30 clean & jerks for time), the workout is written as a sprint. If his workout takes you longer then 5 minutes, you've missed the "sprint stimulus". Ideally for this workout you would drop a to a weight that you could comfortably hit 10 clean & jerks at. Now this isn't to say you cannot "sometimes" RX a workout and go outside of the stimulus however it isn't reccommended for everyday practice as you're stepping away from the high intensity component of fitness and therefore possibly hindering your results.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Prep time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1/4 cup Almond flour
- 1 cup Baby spinach (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (freshly chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 Parsnip (peeled and grated)
- 1 Carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 1 Garlic clove (minced)
- 1 Red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 Egg
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)
1. Combine all of the vegetables in a bowl with the herbs, egg, and almond flour. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Form into 4 patties.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Add the vegetable cakes and cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve immediately.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Matty and Stace from The Chief Life are driven to educate and assist you with your health, nutrition and fitness related goals. They are both CrossFit coaches, have heaps of skills with nutrition and Stacey is a Dietitian with almost 10 years of experience. If you want to know how to get the most out of yourself through quality nutrition, we can help! Head to thechieflife.com for more info, to get in touch or to order your personalised meal plan or training program. We create the plans so all you have to do is make it happen! “Stop thinking about it and go be about it”.