Creamy Basil and Tomato Chicken
Author: Stacey and Matty Date Posted:12 October 2017
THE CHIEF TIPS
Cooking Tip: Add chopped ginger and turmeric root to your cup of tea and eat once you've finished drinking the tea. This will ensure you get all of the nutrients of these highly healthy and healing roots... Preferably use a lemon and ginger or ginger glow flavoured tea to make sure it is palatable!
Training Tip:Try to with hold using your belt on any lifts under 70%. By making the decision to use this deliberate practice you can almost guarantee a strength gain/stability increase to your lifts.
Mindset Tip: When stressed or anxious, slow your breathing down. The act of breathing in through your nose and extended the length both in and out of your breath can change your situation around in minutes
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
- 1 pound chicken boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 batch nut-free dairy-free pesto, recipe below (or use your favorite pesto, store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Nut-Free Dairy-Free Pesto:
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 package fresh basil (2/3 oz)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
1. Prepare the pesto: place the garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the garlic is finely minced. Add the sunflower seeds and pulse serval times. Add the nutrition yeast, a sprinkle of salt, and a dash of pepper to the food processor. Finally, add the basil and avocado oil. Pulse until the basil is well minced. Set pesto aside while you prepate the rest of the dish.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it sizzles. Slice the onion into strips while the oil heats, and then add it to the pan. Cook until translucent.
3. Once the onion is translucent, add the chicken to the pan. Cook for 12 minutes, then flip over and cook for 13 more minutes. (To get the best sear, avoid moving it around too much between flips). Chicken should be cooked through. If it is not, continue to cook until chicken has no pink in the middle and juices run clear.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the arrowroot powder into the water. Add the coconut milk, and then whisk in the pesto.
5. Pour the sauce into the skillet with the chicken. Bring to a gentle simmer.
6. Add the sliced cherry tomatoes. Allow to simmer for 1-2 more minutes, until tomatoes are warmed, and serve. Optional: serve over zoodles or spiralized sweet potatoes.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Matty and Stace from The Chief Life are driven to educate and assist you with your health, nutrition and fitness related goals. They are both CrossFit coaches, have heaps of skills with nutrition and Stacey is a Dietitian with almost 10 years of experience. If you want to know how to get the most out of yourself through quality nutrition, we can help! Head to thechieflife.com for more info, to get in touch or to order your personalised meal plan or training program. We create the plans so all you have to do is make it happen! “Stop thinking about it and go be about it”.